There's lots going on in the quilting world these days, both locally and elsewhere, and Christy filled us in on many of these events with these announcements:
- Pacific IQF – October 17-20; Santa Clara Convention Center; info at http://www.quiltfest.com/activities.asp?id=7
- Hoffman Challenge – quilt entry deadline is July 19; info at www.HoffmanChallenge.com
- Modern Quilts Unlimited Modern Block Design Challenge – entry deadline July 31; info at http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=4xwgiadab&v=00177_hio5ARRESVgEn-LrhEPtRmuffKYJ4biVEkEJ4cfcUDhhql63IiiHBzvXFu-EN25zrldNx3s5d1pcm3BvOg_f5l0tootFEGFu7tE00uZsYYuDCFCVwJA%3D%3D
- American Quilter’s Society Modern Quilt Challenge – entry deadline August 2; info at https://www.americanquilter.com/promos/2013_modern_quilt_challenge/
- Kern County Fair – entry forms should be available early July.
- Bernina Club – June 19 @ 6:30 pm; June 20 @ 10:00 am.
- Wool Club – July 3 @ 1:00 and 6:30 pm (Jane)
- Bolts to Bindings – new summer hours Saturday – Wednesday 10:00 to 4:30; Thursday 10:00 to 9:00; Friday 10:00 to 6:00; Sunday Sew Ins all day Sundays.
- Harvest Hop – October 11 & 12, 10:00 to 6:00; 7 shops participating – the one in Maricopa, two in Bakersfield, two in Tehachapi and two in Porterville.
- Kona prices are going up .50/yd next week
The program for our Saturday, July 20 meeting will be a demonstration of an improv technique by Program Chair Pam Gavin.
We have set up a swap of mug rugs with the Tucson MQG. Bring your finished project to the July meeting for show and tell; they will be collected at July meeting and mailed to Tucson MQG. Please include $1 to help cover postage; also include a note with your name and something fun about yourself. You can include a little extra something with your mug such as thread or buttons - something light and not too bulky. However, this is NOT mandatory. If you have not already committed to participating and would like to, please contact Christy.
Our monthly Sew In will be from 10 am to 4 pm Saturday, June 22, at Strawberry Patches. Nicci will bring fabric so that members can work on a block for a philanthropic quilt if they would like. Otherwise, bring whatever sewing project you are working on.
Although our group was fairly small this time, we had several beautiful and innovative projects for show and tell. See photos below.
For our program, Christy demonstrated the Slice and Insert Improv Technique as shown in Jacquie Gehring and Katie Pedersen's book, Quilting Modern. The fabrics used, angle of the slices and how many slices are made allows for many different looks and variations to this block. Lots of fun and very freeing!
Don't forget the sew-in this Saturday, the 22nd, and our next meeting on July 20!
Submitted by Laura
BMQG Vice President